The overall aim of the program is to provide student-teachers with the tools of primary school teaching and learning process in the world sustainable educational development; enable them to have a commitment to quality, timeliness and continuous improvement; to be able to communicate effectively and function effectively individually or in teams and to attain necessary qualifications to progress academically in teaching profession.
The specific objectives of the programme are:
- To train and/or upgrade academic qualifications of primary school teachers to a Diploma level.
- To improve teaching skills, strategies and methodologies for effective teaching at primary schools.
- To build capacity of teachers to teach Mathematics and English Language at primary schools.
- To enhance communication skills and abilities of teachers during teaching and learning process at primary schools.
- To build the teacher capacity to integrate ICT in teaching and learning process at primary school level.
DURATION OF THE PROGRAM
This programme is a three year training programme and prepares the students to work as professional teachers. The students receive a Diploma at the end of training.
MODE OF STUDY
Two (2) options are available under this programme as follows:
- Regular training: Traditionally the students under this option have longer face to face classroom interactions with lecturers with periods of 6-10 weeks. The intakes for this option are January and July every year.
- E-Learning training: This is a distance learning programme with shorter face to face classroom interactions with lecturers of 2 weeks. The students have self-directed learning. The intakes for this option are January and July every year.